Is it important to look back at how I ended up being a filmmaker? It is not. So, let me not talk about who brought me into this industry...about who inspired me to become a filmmaker etc....but to share something which I think is worth sharing...m writing this piece....'The journey'...
I see so many people around me who love watching films and nowadays most of them even love 'making' films. To most of them, filmmaking is about being 'smart'.So, many a times when I look at those so many audio video presentations ' that fake themselves as 'short films'...I feel empty. Because, all these av presentations are about sound work...about title graphics....about weird camera angles...about split screens and blah blah blah. But, where is the content? ...And then, I started to look back at the time when I used to make short films...
They were the same too, actually. So, now I realise that filmmaking is not about all these issues at all.
Very humbly, this piece in a way is written to be shared with creative individuals who are looking at film and tv direction as a way of life...as a breadwinner.
It is very easy to learn the basics of filmmaking.The technique.And I learnt it quite fast too. I first learnt how to write a screenplay....convert an idea into a screenplay...I then learnt how to do my shot divisions etc and then I learnt how to edit it. But what I had not learnt was the skill to use them all effectively. And this requires a lot of patience and humility to learn.
At this stage...filmmaking becomes a more complex art because now you begin to deal with issues such as scheduling, man management and then the 'commercial ' angles to making a film ...(effective use of money and effective ways of money recovery)..And then the toughest act......PUBLICITY. PUBLICITY skills are what all of us filmmakers neglect or do not think too much about and then end up paying the price of our work not being noticed.
So...finally the equation ...the destination that I have arrived at is...
TO MAKE A GOOD FILM.... 1)HAVE STRONG CONTENT THAT CAN WORK EVEN IF YOUR FILMMAKING IS BAD
2) HAVE A STRONG SENSE OF TECHNIQUE AND BE PRECISE ABOUT WHAT IS YOUR STYLE..?(USE OF LENS....USE OF ANGLES...LENGTH OF SHOTS....EDITING PATTERN....AND SO ON)
3)DEVELOP SKILLS OF SCHEDULING...DEVELOP SKILLS OF WORKING ON DEADLINES...DEVELOP SKILLS OF 'SHOOTING FAST' BUT ALSO NOT AT THE COST OF YOUR CREATIVE FREEDOM...
4)KNOW HOW TO SELL YOUR FILM
5)KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD BE SPENT ON WHAT....(CHECK IF IT IS WORTH IT)
6)AND FINALLY BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE MADE THE 'BEST FILM' YOU COULD HAVE MADE AT THAT POINT IN TIME
I see so many people around me who love watching films and nowadays most of them even love 'making' films. To most of them, filmmaking is about being 'smart'.So, many a times when I look at those so many audio video presentations ' that fake themselves as 'short films'...I feel empty. Because, all these av presentations are about sound work...about title graphics....about weird camera angles...about split screens and blah blah blah. But, where is the content? ...And then, I started to look back at the time when I used to make short films...
They were the same too, actually. So, now I realise that filmmaking is not about all these issues at all.
Very humbly, this piece in a way is written to be shared with creative individuals who are looking at film and tv direction as a way of life...as a breadwinner.
It is very easy to learn the basics of filmmaking.The technique.And I learnt it quite fast too. I first learnt how to write a screenplay....convert an idea into a screenplay...I then learnt how to do my shot divisions etc and then I learnt how to edit it. But what I had not learnt was the skill to use them all effectively. And this requires a lot of patience and humility to learn.
At this stage...filmmaking becomes a more complex art because now you begin to deal with issues such as scheduling, man management and then the 'commercial ' angles to making a film ...(effective use of money and effective ways of money recovery)..And then the toughest act......PUBLICITY. PUBLICITY skills are what all of us filmmakers neglect or do not think too much about and then end up paying the price of our work not being noticed.
So...finally the equation ...the destination that I have arrived at is...
TO MAKE A GOOD FILM.... 1)HAVE STRONG CONTENT THAT CAN WORK EVEN IF YOUR FILMMAKING IS BAD
2) HAVE A STRONG SENSE OF TECHNIQUE AND BE PRECISE ABOUT WHAT IS YOUR STYLE..?(USE OF LENS....USE OF ANGLES...LENGTH OF SHOTS....EDITING PATTERN....AND SO ON)
3)DEVELOP SKILLS OF SCHEDULING...DEVELOP SKILLS OF WORKING ON DEADLINES...DEVELOP SKILLS OF 'SHOOTING FAST' BUT ALSO NOT AT THE COST OF YOUR CREATIVE FREEDOM...
4)KNOW HOW TO SELL YOUR FILM
5)KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD BE SPENT ON WHAT....(CHECK IF IT IS WORTH IT)
6)AND FINALLY BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE MADE THE 'BEST FILM' YOU COULD HAVE MADE AT THAT POINT IN TIME
No comments:
Post a Comment